“One of our most important principles is that everybody will be successful. Not may be.”
In episode #235 of the Glass and Out Podcast, we sit down with Roger Ronnberg, Head Coach of the Frolunda Hockey Club.
Ronnberg is widely considered one of the top coaches in Europe, his name routinely comes up when the topic of European coaches breaking into the NHL is mentioned. He is respected by the top coaches in the game as someone who has demonstrated that putting people first, and prioritising individual development, in all facets, is the process that leads to sustained performance by a team.
Listen as he shares why he wants no thinking and no excuses from his players, breaking down systems into habits, and why coaches should strive to make every player successful.
- 0:10 Lessons learned while coaching Sweden at the World Juniors
- 2:30 Having the right mindset for practice
- 5:00 Important behaviours to have implemented during a season
- 7:30 Puck possession, always attack, always pressure
- 11:00 Challenging players to make their own reads
- 14:00 Helping player's improve their reads
- 18:10 Working with a performance coach
- 24:00 Reframing the message
- 28:00 Every player will be successful
- 34:50 Having the mindset of constant development
- 38:20 Core values in Frolunda
- 40:40 Joel Lundqvist's impact in the community
- 45:15 Getting a pulse on the team from captains
- 48:30 Mindset of developing players/people
- 50:40 Creating a safe environment for coaches
Glass and Out Podcast