"Sport is not inherently good...It is neutral and only in the hands of adults who are intentional about making it good will it be that."
The Coaches Site is proud to welcome Beyond the X’s and O’s with Dr. Cassidy Preston and Chris DePiero to our network of podcasts! Stay tuned for weekly episodes as they help coaches develop the “soft” skills of leadership.
John O’Sullivan is an internationally known TEDx Speaker and the founder of the Changing the Game Project. John is the author of two #1 bestselling books: Changing the Game and Every Moment Matters; he is also the host of the Way of Champions Podcast, one of the top-rated podcasts for coaches. John is a former collegiate and professional soccer player, and has coached for over 20 years on the youth, high school and college level. He has consulted with the US Olympic Committee, US Soccer, USA Football, US Lacrosse, USA Swimming, Ireland Rugby, Aussie Rules Football and many more.
John shared some keen insights in this episode:
- Positive shift and movement in coaches, but parents still need education
- How there is an imaginary fear of asking volunteers to do more
- The importance of focusing on creating an environment and culture for your team
- Self-reflection practices he has used and encourages other coaches to do so
- The #1 cause for coach burnout is losing sight of their why
- How sport is neutral and it’s the adults that make it a positive or negative experience
- When the eyes are shining you nailed it
John is without a doubt a huge advocate in our war against the ‘old-school’ coaching mentality.
You can join us by sharing with your fellow coaches!
Find out more about John O’Sullivan at:
- Website: changingthegameproject.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ctgprojecthq/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/CTGProjectHQ
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChangingTheGameProject
Beyond the X's and O's